The guys over at MayaCast announced a contest on their previous podcast to help gear everyone up for the upcoming launch of N3.  Essentially this boils down to building a full 300 point army while we wait for the full N3 to drop.  At first I spent a few days in indecisive reflection.  Would I find enough time?  Could I possibly paint a full 300 points to the standard I would be happy with?  At first I decided that I wouldn't have enough time and left it at that.  Then, with some prodding from a friend, I figured, "What the hell, the worst that can happen is that I won't finish.  Right?"

The Contest
The basic premise of the contest consists of creating a valid 300 point ITS (Infinity Tournament Scenario) list and painting, basing, and finishing the entire kit-and-kaboodle by the final deadline. The details are below:

  • Create a valid 300 point ITS list.
  • Collect all necessary miniatures for the list.
  • Take a picture of all the UNPAINTED miniatures with a time stamp from October 1st to October 28th.
  • Submit the list and the time-stamped photo to MayaCast
  • Fully assemble, paint, and base all models in the list.
  • Submit the finished photos to MayaCast before they record their December podcast (date not determined, but likely around the 28th of November).
  • Entrants who finish the assembly, painting, and basing of the army will be entered for prizes.
    • At very least the MayaCast crew will pick an overall winner.
    • The more entrants who successfully complete their army, the more prizes will be given out.

My Entry
Prior to this contest I owned Nomads, Haqqislam, and the start of an Aleph army.  None of which are fully painted and only the Nomads have any paint on them at all.  The problem?  I really want to tackle Nomads and Haqq with my new airbrush but I need to practice first.  I then decided to shelve Aleph as I simply couldn't find a list to make me happy.

So what next.  Well, the newly resculpted Morats caught my eye months ago.  I loved the new Morat Aggression Force Starter as well as the Vanguard and the solo figures that Corvus Belli released this year.  I started playing with lists and doing some research to see if viable lists could be made from only the newer models.  Answer?  Not really.

I did find that I could build a list with relatively few old models.  So I said screw it, and dived on in.  You'll see my list below as well as my submission picture to MayaCast.


 GROUP 1 (Regular: 10/Irregular: 0):

 YAOGAT Lieutenant Combi Rifle, Panzerfaust / Pistol, CCW. (31)
 KURGAT Mk12, D-Charges, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (24)
 ZERAT Hacker (Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 33)
 MORAT (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (19)
 MORAT Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (20)
 MORAT HMG / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 25)
 SOGARAT HMG / Pistol, AP CCW. (2 | 67)
 SURYAT Heavy Rocket Launcher / Assault Pistol, Knife. (2 | 51)
 DĀTURAZI Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Shock CCW. (14)
 DĀTURAZI Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, Shock CCW. (14)

 5.5 SWC | 298 Points

Additionally, I'm using DragonForge bases.  Specially, I bought the tech-deck bases a while back for use with my Aleph.  I'm now instead using them for Morats and I'll find something else for Aleph when/if I return to them.

Since I took the picture and submitted my entry to MayaCast I made great strides forward.  I started by cleaning all the miniatures and parts.  That took one night.  I then attached all parts I felt didn't require pinning (not many for Infinity models).  After that I started pinning assembly.  This went fine until I hit the Daturazi with their loin-cloths and hair braids.  The pins I used for arms were suddenly too large.  So I took the advice from MayaCast and used straight pins with a smaller drill bit.  Three bits later, I successfully pinned both daturazi.  With assembly complete I started drilling the leg pins and attaching the models to cork for easy handling.  Until I ran out of cork.  

Overall, my progress ramped up pretty quick.  I worked each night this past week and managed to completely assemble everything other than the Suryat.  I wanted to wait and receive the "all clear" concerning proxies from Tom and Kip before assembling.

Zerat Hacker
Vanguard w/ HMG
Zerat (again)
Zerat (yet again)
Vanguard HMG (again)
Vanguard HMG (yes, again)
Yaogat w/ Sniper (used as Lt.)
Sogarat (back)
Vanguard w/ Combi
Daturazi w/ Combi (used as chain rifle)
Daturazi w/ Combi (used as chain rifle)
Vanguard w/ Combi
Suryat HMG (Rocket Launcher)

What Next?
I need to attach the rest of the models to cork and prime them.  Then I have to paint my base layers on and add detailing.  Next in line would come the bases.  Then I only need to attach the painted models to said bases and I'm done.  Awesome.  Except I only have roughly 4 weeks to accomplish this and I already found some technical issues.

I need paint.  Most of my GW paint dried up.  That leaves me with my newer GW paints, my P3 paints, and my Reaper metallic paints.  This also leaves me with a rather limited palette.  So I need to order paint.

I'll keep updating the blog on my progress when I find time.  I always meant to include more hobby articles to break up the reviews, opinion pieces, and tactical articles I write.  I simply never found the time to do so.